Mapo Tofu: Inspired by My Hero Academia (gluten free)
Inspired by My Hero Academia, I’m making Fuyumi’s Mapo Tofu recipe, as very politely demanded by everyone’s favourite little firecracker, Katsuki Bakugou! This Sichuan Mapo Tofu is so flavourful, delicious, and comforting. I can totally understand why he was so desperate to get his hands on the recipe. Served with some fresh rice, I am sure you will be hooked and this dish will become a staple in your house over these cold months ahead!
- 3 cups uncooked Japanese short grain rice
- 14 oz soft tofu 1 block cut into cubes
- 1.5 Tbsp neutral flavoured oil
- ½ - 1 Tbsp ground sichuan pepper adjust to your preferred tongue numbness
- 5-10 dried red chilies sliced (adjust to your preferred level of spiciness)
- 1 inch knob ginger grated
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 lb lean ground pork
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1.5 Tbsp gochujang
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce gluten free
- 1 Tbsp oyster sauce gluten free
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch whisked into 2 Tbsp water
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- Green onions thinly sliced to garnish
Wash your rice! Rinse rice multiple times until the water comes through clear. Cook your rice using whichever method you prefer. I use my new rice cooker that I am in love with!
Heat the oil in your wok over medium high heat and then add your ground Sichuan pepper, stir for about 30 seconds. Add ginger and chilis, stir for about 1 minute. Add in the garlic and let cook for another minute, until very aromatic.
Add in the ground pork and break the meat up into little pieces. Keep cooking until cooked through.
Mix in the gochujang. When combined, add in the broth, soy sauce, oyster sauce, and sugar. Give it a quick mix and add in the tofu. Be careful not to splash the hot food on you!
Cover the tofu for a couple of minutes and uncover when boiling. Stir in the cornstarch slurry and carefully mix (in an up and down motion to avoid breaking the tofu) until the sauce is nice and thick.
Drizzle with sesame oil, mix and remove from heat.
Garnish with green onion, serve with fresh rice and enjoy!