Share This Recipe
Inspired by Disney’s Encanto, I am making the Arepas con Queso that heal all wounds. These arepas are easy to make, oozing with cheese and are a great snack! Fill them with more cheese for a classic Arepas con Queso or stuff them with meat and beans to make them extra delicious. Either way you’re sure to enjoy them!
If you want to turn these into more of a meal then you need to try my recipe for Pulled Pork Stuffed Arepas, recipe below… This is my go to way to eat them!
Delicious Pulled Pork Recipe:
• 2 lbs pork shoulder, cut into chunks
• 3 cloves garlic, minced
• 2 tsp italian seasoning
• 2 tsp paprika
• 2 tsp chili powder
• 1 tsp ground cumin
• 1/2 tsp salt
• 1 tsp black pepper
• juice of 1/2 lime
• 1 Tbsp honey
• Enough chicken broth to cover all the meat, about 1-2 cups
• 25g fresh cilantro, chopped
1. Combine all ingredients in the bowl of your instant pot. Cover and cook on high pressure for 8 minutes. Let the pressure release naturally.
2. Shred the meat and let it absorb all that amazing cooking juice. I like to crisp up the meat so I suggest 2 options: 1. spread the meat out on a sheet pan (drained of sauce) and put under the broiler for a few minutes until the edges crisp. or 2: crisp up the shredded meat in a frying pan (my go to method). Either way, watch the meat to make sure it doesn’t burn. Feel free to add more of the sauce afterwards and enjoy!
Keep scrolling for the Cilantro Crema and Smashed Black Beans recipes!
• 1/2 cup plain yogurt
• 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
• Juice of 1/2 a lime
Mix all together and enjoy!
Smashed Black Beans:
• 1 can of black beans (15oz), drained
• 1/2 cup water
• 1/2 tsp ground cumin
• pinch of salt
Over medium heat, add black beans and water. Cook until bubbling, season and smash up the beans. You want them to be chunky and not smooth. Keep stirring and cooking until all the water’s dissolved.
If you make this recipe, I would absolutely love to hear your feedback and would love to talk to you all some more so please leave a comment! Also, if you do make this recipe, I’d really love to see your creations so please tag me on Instagram.
If you have any requests for inspired/themed recipes that you’d like to see, please let me know!
Gluten Free With Me is where food and geek meet!
With a heavy focus on food inspired by Japan and recreations from your favourite Anime, Manga, Movies, & Games.
Oh… and It’s all gluten free!